Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Recent reads...

I recently read two great books that I really enjoyed. I haven't had too many books that I've really gotten into lately but these were both great.

The first one I read was The Pearl Diver written by Jeff Talarigo tells a tender story of a girl who lives in Japan and discovers she has leprosy. She is banished to a leprosarium and spends the rest of her life there. It is a tale that was eye opening to me and I can't even begin to imagine how you would deal with being banished from your family and adjusting to a new life. The main character has such strength that I don't know if I had at her age.
The second book is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. This was my favorite out of the two and is the book our ward book club is reading. In 1946 an author is in London and looking for inspiration for her next book and ends up befriending members of this society who live on Guernsey island and have amazing stories to tell about the German invasion during the war. The book tells of their lives during and after the war and the bonds that hold them together.

1 comments:

Heidi said...

I love it when people post about good books they've read! I got the book club one from the library already but haven't started it yet. I'm glad to hear it's good! I've never heard of The Pearl Diver but it sounds like my kind of book...I put it on reserve at the library.